Friday, May 23, 2008

The library

I should be keeping busy doing all those things I always said I would be doing if I had more time. Now that I'm unemployed I have the time but those things are still waiting. Funny how that works. One of the things I have cut out of the budget is book buying. I love reading and have many books but I used to buy at least 4 to 5 new books every month. Even at Costco's great prices, usually $4-$5 dollars each, it's just not in the budget. So I turn to the library.

Actually, I've always used the library. For example, when a new garden book would come out I would often borrow it from the library to see if it was one I would like to have. That has saved me a lot of money right there! We have the inter-library loan which is great. You go on-line and find the book you want. Regardless of which local library has it, you can reserve it and they will send it to the library of your choice. We have a small library here in town so I just pick them up there. New books, old books, books from a favorite author. Whatever I want is pretty much available.

I got an email from the library today and 3 books have come in. I'll be off to town shortly to pick them up. I bet I have over a dozen on reserve. Some I'm number 30 on so it's going to be a while before I get those books. Still, it sure saves a lot of money. I need to go browse a book store and look for new titles so I can see if the library has them yet. Looking forward to the new books!

No comments: