Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Home canned butter

I've been reading for several years about home canning of butter. Many people do it but canning books do not recommend it. I keep quite a stock of butter in the freezer but if power should be lost it won't last. Home canned butter is shelf stable, I'm told, for 3 - 5 years. The instructions I have says to use the cheapest butter you can buy, although the good stuff works even better.

So I tried it. I canned 4 pounds of butter today which made 4 1/2 pints. The butter is finished and now sitting on the kitchen table. In a bit I'll put it on a shelf in the pantry. My hubby is quite leery about this. I'll wait a few months and then open a pint so he can see how it's just fine. I'm hoping this will be another step towards being prepared for whatever. I'll be keeping an eye out for cheap butter too.

No comments: