Monday, January 14, 2008

Chickens

I've been going thru a chicken catalog getting ready to order my chicks. Hubby is working on the new door to the chicken house. The wind, which can be ferocious in my area, keeps ripping the door right off the hinges. This time instead of repairing the door, it's all new with super duty hinges and better hooks to keep it closed. Hopefully, this door will last awhile.

A minimum order of 25 chicks is required and I have that number plus I keep saying I should have a couple of this breed and, oh, look at that one! I talked to my sister-n-law on Saturday and if she can get my brother to build a shed she's in for some chicks. Maybe a nephew as well. Guess the order will be for more than 25 no problem.

This is nice. I've been trying, subtly, to get family members to prepare more, have some food storage and maybe alternative ways to heat and cook. I haven't had much luck so far. If they get some chickens though, they will at least have fresh eggs and perhaps a stewing rooster or two. Not much in the way of being prepared, but hey, it's a start. Hmmm, I'd better get the catalog over there so she can fall in love with some chickens.

No comments: