Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Stress is a killer part 2

I meant to talk a bit about stress. I ramble I'm afraid and other things got in the way. So, my co-worker's doctor actually talked to him about the possiblity of changing jobs since his stress is primarily job related. Will the stress at work end? Not with his particular job although it may lessen, we hope. What can he do to help relieve stress? He is a very musical person so his music is a great stress reducer. He is in a band, in charge of a jr. band and gives lessons. Stress there so he may cut back on things. He has to start thinking now on how to reduce stress.

For me, stress was financial and my husband's health. His drinking. He is now sober and hopefully will stay that way. My stress level is waay down. Why? Well, ends are meeting and I actually took the house off the market. The market sucks and I didn't want to sell anyway. It's nice not to have to worry about strangers trouping thru at any moment. I'm unpacking boxes and getting back stuff I have been looking for since I packed everything up. I'm also going thru and putting a lot of stuff into the spring garage sale box. Three large boxes so far.

I've been thru counseling for spouses of alcoholics. I know I'm the enabler personality. Still, I'm dismayed at how much my husband's drinking affects me. Lots of stress. I need to work on that. Having some money in the bank helps relieve stress. I'm knitting these days and have actually finished a couple of things. I'm working on a shawl right now. It'll be a very warm one. Thinking about each and every purchase I want, deciding if I really want it and how I can save for it is putting me in control of purchasing, and I feel less stress that way.

Planning for the future, planning my garden, choosing chickens, planning for kids all help me to relieve stress. I feel the future is less than rosy but I'll have food from my garden, from my chickens, meat, milk and cheese from my goats. It all helps me to feel, at least somewhat, in control of my life. Now if I could get that house paid off. Tain't going to happen but I'm working on it.

No comments: